Saturday 5 June 2010

Preparing for the future - speaking Japanese

Speaking to my friend last night, she told me that I sound like a foreigner when I speak Japanese. Bad news! I haven't paid much attention to pronunciation when speaking Japanese because when I started out, learning the pronunciation of the Japanese syllabary was pretty straightforward, so I think there was a tendency to imagine that I had it mastered it and ignore this aspect of communication.

Japanese pronunciation is much flatter than English. My pronunciation has a rising and falling intonation to it, so it doesn't feel natural to me to speak in a flat tone - it's something I have to concentrate on when I do it.

I was trying to think about speaking like a robot to make my pronunciation more Japanese, but you can take this too far - you don't want to talk through your nose and end up sounding like a Dalek, however tempting this may be.

Anyway, I was reminded of the Flight of the Conchords, and their song, The Humans are Dead. It's pretty funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment