Friday 28 May 2010

Write blog


Had my Chinese lesson this morning. It was very good. I was really concentrating on putting myself in the mindset of communicating in Chinese, rather than just trying to put everything into my head the way it is organised in English.

Thought about the film Raising the Red Lantern (大红灯笼高高挂 Dà Hóng Dēnglóng Gāogāo Guà) during the lesson. And the way the guy gets them all to extinguish the lanterns with the command in Chinese, something like, "Feng deng!" (btw probably the most Chinese Chinese film I've ever seen, and really good. Highly recommended.) Chinese can be like that sometimes though; "Here's five yuan" can be literally translated into English as “give you five yuan” (给你五块钱)So I think the guy in the movie was saying something like "out lanterns!"

No comments:

Post a Comment